The online portal offers 24/7 access to take care of your residential permit needs - complete the application online, upload supporting documentation and pay associated permit fees at your convenience.

ALTERATIONS - A residential alteration consists of work being done within a dwelling that does not change the footprint of the building, which would include but not be limited to enlarging and decreasing the size of windows, doors, and rooms (If you are replacing a window or door with the same size window or door, a permit is not required). A typical residential alteration permit does not require a site plan; however, if you are increasing the number of bedrooms within the dwelling, one may be requested.

ADDITIONS - A residential addition consists of enlarging the footprint of the building by adding rooms or enclosing porches. This application would cover all construction or the addition and alterations to the interior. 

NEW RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION - New construction of a residential dwelling requires more applications, including Commercial New Construction, Occupancy, Utility, Electric, and Plumbing Permits. If the owner of the property/contractor wants to know if the dwelling can be constructed without making the applications above, an application can be made for a preliminary site plan review.

MISCELLANEOUS - Any construction on the property including minor grading, would fall under a Miscellaneous Building Permit. With the exception of grading, these items are called accessory structures. (e.g., garage-detached from residence, deck, pool, fence, shed, dog kennel, retaining wall, curb cuts, driveways)

ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING & UTILITY - A Maryland Master Electrician or Maryland Master Plumber is required to sign the permit application unless the work is being completed by the owner and resident of the residential dwelling unit in which the work is being done. The owner would sign the application in lieu of the Maryland Master in this situation. In a multiple unit structure, the owner can only do plumbing and electrical work within the dwelling unit in which he/she resides.

If you are a contractor (e.g. renovator, electrician, HVAC Specialist, plumber, painter, or a maintenance worker) please see EPA information (re: Lead) that may affect you.

We try to keep the information this page as up to date as possible, but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information.